Thursday, August 13, 2009

Advanture, continued.

Day 1 in Grenada:

Problem #1: AC in my room is broken. Solution: Move into another room that's empty. After settling in, chatting with some new arrivals and friends, and having a bit to drink, I decided to explore the campus by night. It's a pretty nice campus. Next to the ocean, with a little hill seperating most of the administration buildings and library from most of the dorms. Behind the Founder's Library (seems like the biggest library), you find yourself on the tip of a cliff sorta thing, over looking the ocean. Quite a sight at night, listening to the crashing of the waves; very surreal.

So, as I was laying in bed, thinking I would totally want to get up early, get registration done, then get myself a phone or what not, when I realized that I've been looking at a pretty bright window for a while now. Turns out, not only did I oversleep, I overslept by 3 freaking hours. Awesomeness.

So, after much adieu, I got up half past noon, managed to go to the bank and exchange some cash for some spending money, and actually got myself registered. By then, it's already 5 PM. Ran into a mate I met on the plane into Grenada, grabbed some grub ($9 for a meal! Ok, it's about the same on campus back at UBC, but still...) and started the night.

Turns out, the mandatory week is probably to help people get more booze into their livers. Bunch of us (wish I could remember their names, but after meeting hundreds of new people, names are hard) went down to a pub close to campus called Banada's. Nice pub. Got at least three bars, with a dance floor too. Drinks are decent, 6 EC (East Caribbean dollars, about 2.25 CDN per EC) for a beer.

Long story short, I eventually ended up back at my dorm for some sweet nothings with T.


Day 2 in Grenada:

Capital of Grenada tour first thing in the morning! Well, ok, I almost overslept that one too. But, manage to wake up about 15 minutes before busses leave (never underestimate the convinience of living on campus), and actually showered etc and caught the bus. Went to St. George's, saw the old fort(where my camera decided to run out of battery), the spice market, the fish market, and a nice mall that seems to cater mostly to cruise ship passengers. Pictures to follow.

Afterwards, got a stack of text books (by last count, all 11 books and various manuals), and caught a bus to Concord falls. Long drive there, took about an hour, and when we finally got there, it was pouring rain. Nevertheless, took a jump, about 8 feet, into the fall, and boy was it refreshing. The humid heat, combined with some fresh, cooling mountain rain water, is very, very nice. But, because of the run off from the top of the mountain, we were told to get out of the water after about 5 to 10 minutes. Oh well. Another fall to come this saturday, where I will make sure to take more dips.

After a quick dinner at the Sugar Shack (sorta a fast food place on campus, with spagitti meatball special!), attended a couple of workshops that were of questionable value. On the other hand, enough time to let the food settle, and utilize the school gym. Pretty small, but not alot of people; went for a jog around campus too...even at night, the humidity is very stiffiling.

Wanted to do some laundry too, but people were hogging it. Went to this place called "The Owl"...42 EC per pitcher of beer. That's 21 bucks (almost) for some beer. Not fun. BUT, the karaoke got people going, and it ended up being alright afterall.

Now, I'm looking forward to more advanture tomorrow. Pretty sure my alerm is going to be useless again, but let's play the wait and see game.

No comments: